Sunday, January 06, 2013

Upstairs flooring

The returning urine stain of doom has given us a physical and emotional setback. After a myriad of repetitive steps to neutralize, sequester, and remove the urine stain we finally got it to stop smelling, stop rehydrating, and dry out. Yesterday we rented an orbital sander and sanded two of the rooms upstairs.

The night before I had to repair a section of the flooring.

I initially cut the hole square and larger to expose proper tongue and grove to receive new pieces. I used my little battery powered saw and a chisel. Normally it is recommended to not a have a horizontal single seam but there are many other areas that have this type of seam and it should add to the rustic nature of our house.

I then cut exact pieces from Tristans future room since the floor is generally already trashed there. We will need to replace the entire thing so it makes for good pillaging.

Tabitha asked, as I was cutting exact sized pieces, "if I shouldn't cut them larger and re-saw them to fit." No, because I don't have a more accurate saw than the one in my hand.

I watched plenty of you-tube videos of how to do this and felt confident that I completely understood the concept and nature of the task. My new belt sander was invaluable to making a very tight fit.


I cut the bottom tongue from the groved side so the last piece would go down. 
Avery tight fit, I drilled and nailed them down. 
Yes, I am getting old and need glasses for reading and exacting work of this nature,

Here is the floor after the sanding and staining.
Kassi's room.

The main play room and stairwell.

After church today we will polyurethane the floor and protect it from the years of abuse ahead. 



7 comments:

Ron said...

Looks like a very nice tight repair.

I've never seen a floor sander like that... with that style, I would imagine it is a lot easier to end up with a reasonably flat surface.

Walter J said...

Beautiful!

karl said...

Ron, This one tore my muscles up. it kept trying to sweep right. I was continually fighting it. I am sure feeing it today.

Walter, Thanks. we just got the first coat of polyurethane on it. it is looking much better, less dull. we'll see after the next coat.

warren said...

It's looking really nice Karl!

karl said...

Thanks Warren, we are having a few people over this Sunday. It is kinda scary since it is still quite rough around the edges.

woodysrockyridge said...

Looking good Karl!

karl said...

Woody, thanks I seem to get much less done around the house here in CA. Much longer work hours=less work around the house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...