Thursday, December 02, 2010

sigh of relief

So I am officially gainfully employed. We have a place to live that we like. Our refrigerator is full of food. Boy was that weird buying all that food. For the past five years we provided most of our own food from our farm. Today I got the final word on my job and we celebrated by going to Berkeley Bowl. Berkeley Bowl (a grocery store) is impossible to describe. I'll try...

Imagine a high end grocer that has the highest quality produce, meat and groceries. Then multiply that idea by ten, cut all the prices by 40% and mix in a deli/bakery to die for. Oh, that is not all, the place is so aesthetically pleasing you loose all track of time. They had six different types of pomegranate to choose from.

We even bought seafood, I truly missed great seafood. I know that I am not doing the place justice because I was amazed and we used to shop there every week when we lived here before. That was a celebration extravagance and are committed to going to the farmers market on bicycle weekly but that sure was fun.

The camera is still packed or missing in a deeper way than I am willing to admit right now. When this camera issue is resolved we'll take a few photos of the place. Even without olfactory or tactile senses it is still something to behold.

A grocery as entertainment and celebration? Has Karl gone mad? Quite possibly, the stress has been treacle encumbering my every move. I am sure it will take some time to recover. If anyone has been to Berkeley Bowl West please chime-in defend my craziness.

Tomorrow will be our first home cooked meal in... it seems like eons. I start work on Friday. I look forward to working with my new co-workers. They seem very cool. Very cool...

My interview was kinda crazy. I guess I made quite a lasting impression when I left five years ago. I think mostly good but the word cowboy was used in reference to me. I admit I was in rebellion from corporate America and searching for freedom. Sun Light and Power afforded me many latitudes that are no longer acceptable. Wearing a Kilt to work everyday was brought up. That was the culture then and it isn't like that anymore. I also admit that for the company to grow, that culture needed to change. I see the truth of it and sure don't have any problems with the change, nor will I.

I just miss the feeling of going to work everyday and feeling like I am making a difference. Making the planet a little bit better with every solar installation. I am so appreciative and humbled by our good fortune that I cannot sleep.

Thank you everyone for your prayers, well wishes and hope. We made a huge leap of faith and the faith held thanks to you.

Karl

16 comments:

Patrick and Emily said...

Glad to hear You have a job, I have to admit I was a little worried about it. Hope You enjoy Your first day. Can't wait until You find that camera.

Ed said...

I cannot fathom how big a shock this has been to your system even if you came from there five years ago. It would probably take me months to change but then changing has never been one of my strong suits. Wish you the best.

sheila said...

Congratulations on the new job at the old place!

Hey I was just thinking of something. It is already Dec 2nd. Any thoughts as to Christmas for the kids? Can you suggest a few things? I can't do much as an individual. Maybe a book for Tristan or something.

Hope I'm not over stepping any boundaries, but just want your kids to have a nice Christmas and guessing maybe I'm not the only one. Together maybe a few good people can make a small difference. Anyone else out there with the same thought?

Amy L. said...

Congratulations all around! The Universe is good...

MommaofMany said...

Congratulations on the job! I'm looking forward to seeing how you and your family settle in to the city and make it work!

Carla said...

I am glad that you are all settled in and things are looking up.

I want to take a field trip to Berkeley Bowl now. :o)

katrien said...

Hey Karl, glad to hear you're safe, having fun and that the future looks good.

But you're going to have to give us some more details! What happened to the farm, and the animals, and food in your freezer and pantry? Are they coming later?

Don't want to stress you out, though. It would just be helpful to know how you pulled it off, in case we ever get into such a situation, which might happen more nowadays than we might assume (having to move away in a hurry).

kristen said...

Yeeeehaw on the job! Fantastic! Are the kids/Tabitha enrolling in school soon, or will that wait a bit? How is Toly doing with the dramatic change in environment?

Rixa said...

I'm so glad to hear that you got a job--and so quickly! (My dad was laid off at IBM and it took him 2 years to find another job, and he had to take a 50% pay cut; my brother-in-law had a similar situation and it took him 18 months to find a job). I look forward to more updates on your new job, new family life, etc.

Robin said...

Yeah! It sounds like everything worked out good. I can't even imagine having 4 types of pomegranates to chose from by the way.

rootsong said...

I've been reading & praying & reading & being baffled by how you guys managed to pull off this huge move so quickly. I was so baffled, in fact, that I didn't leave comments because I didn't know what to say! Please forgive me for that. You all must be in such shock! I'm in shock & I'm just a stranger reading along on the internet. :p

I wish you all the best. I shopped at Berkelely Bowl weekly back in the day as well. It IS all you describe & more. Just after my mom & friends, it is the Berkeley Bowl that I miss the most about the bay area. We've lived in Oregon for 4 years now, & I probably still pine for the Berkeley Bowl at least once a month. lol

Good luck in all your settling in. I do hope you fill us in with all the details when you have the time & energy- where the animals went, did you pack up all the canned food, are the kids really going to school, all that good stuff.

:)
Aubrey

Lee said...

Congrats on the new/old job. Finding employment has to be huge stress off your mind.

It's too bad you had to move to escape a dangerous neighbor, but family safety is more important than any piece of land. I look forward to following your future adventures. The amount of things you two accomplish while keeping track of 4 kids is inspiring to all of us!

Ozarkhomesteader said...

I'm so relieved for you. I pray that you continue to find happiness in your new home--and grocery store. :-)

Mysticapex said...

Glad you made it. I can't call you but got the message you left me on the machine. Things here are great and Clayton is working along with me. It's not enough money for the work I do but I am grateful just to have a job in this area. Hope school is going well for the kids. Keep me posted and love to all.

Laura

Kevin and Beth said...

Karl,

I'm checking every day, actually every time I sit down at the computer, to see how you all are. I'm not sure if I should tell you how I feel about your move. I have so many confused thoughts, it actually kind of scared me. Although I am very excited to see what your future holds.

I'm sure you will do all kinds of cool things at your new location and I hope you hurry and get your California farm so I can see what it's like to farm there.

I've been reading your blog for a long time, secretly sharing your triumphs and tragedys. I hope you can find time to keep us updated. I worry too much.
Beth

Walter Jeffries said...

Congrats on the job and the huge shopping trip. Having food in the cupboards is a good thing. Having cupboards to put it in too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...