Saturday, December 12, 2015

Cold weather

I miss heating with a wood stove. I miss the smell of a wood fire in the home. I miss cutting wood. In the forest, I miss that adrenaline rush of planning and felling a tree. I miss splitting wood, especially by hand. Each strike of the maul is like a mini battle of will. Can I convince my body to brutally and precisely repeatedly strike the log until it surrenders.  I miss stacking wood into long rows neatly ready for curing. I miss seeing the stacks of wood, so similar to a fully stocked larder, ready to heat our home.



It is cold here in Berkeley this morning. Not cold like it is in the rest of the United States. The sun will rise, it will bask into our front room and warm our poorly insulated home. By 9:30 am it will be very comfortable. Right now at 5:50 am I am cold. We don't have a real heating source. We could plug in some electric oil filled heaters.


Last time we did that it cost us a fortune on the next electricity bill--worst of all it wasn't really that much warmer.

We have an awesome woodstove


but I'd need to reline the chimney. I have done it before when we lived in Missouri. The main obstacle is there is no place to efficiently get wood. Plus the lining materials to do the job are about $700.

My Berkeley solution will be solar/radiant heat. I just acquired the final expensive part for our solar thermal system. I needed the pump, it had to be strong enough to lift my solar storage water to the peak of our roof. I couldn't afford to buy one since they are about $700. I was gifted two of them, one as back-up. They were from a commercial radiant heat removal. The plumber was going to throw them away.

Now I just need to finish the kitchen so I can install our solar heating system.

3 comments:

Ron said...

We heat exclusively with wood, using a small plain indoor woodstove, and I too love every aspect of it. I actually look forward to crispy days and nights so I can fire the thing up. Half the time, we have the windows open when using the stove, which is a wonderful combination of radiant heat and fresh air. Over the years, we've moved the yearly wood shed supply around our place until we've settled on the perfect location out back, with a wheeled cart to haul each load to the stove, keep things clean, and spare our backs. So many other things have fallen by the wayside, but heating with wood is something we enjoy very much.

If you are ever in the neighborhood, let me know and I'll hook you up with plenty of wood to take home. :)

Ed said...

I find I stay in better shape having to split wood versus plugging in a heater!

Omelay said...

Ron, Oh I miss the days of getting the wood stove so hot that we had to open the windows. Sitting in a chair next tot the stove feeling that radiant heat. It penetrates you and seems to warm from the inside.

Ed, Agreed. Humans that get too far removed from the necessary busyness of daily living are weakened. The seasons rekindle the spirit with preparation and transformation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...