Tuesday, March 16, 2010

happy anniversary

as i alluded to the other day tabitha got a new show-pan for our anniversary. he is named fredrick as in Fredrick Chopin.

our actual anniversary date is the first day of spring. i am not really good at waiting. we gave it to her today.

the kids were so excited.

so was tabitha..








kassi is too enthralled in her multi-media art work to get too involved.

yes those are strawberry tops glued to paper.

i know it seems ridiculous that i should buy such a pricey pan while unemployed. we had one of those forty dollar versions and tabitha was very happy with it. in-fact she cherished it and treated it like fragile crystal. never was metal utensil used nor any abrasive cleansers. it lasted barely a year and the cheapo enamel coating thinned and started to expose the cast iron. this thing was made in china and once the cast was exposed we quit using it. we couldn't be sure that the cast iron didn't have lead in it. it was a sad day because it was integral to her daily routine.

i have never been one to buy knock off versions of tools. it always pays to buy a better quality of tool. this pan is a tool and i regret ever wasting my money on that old lodge version. you cannot afford that pan. it won't last. it likely contains lead under that enamel. if you use it often at all, you'll need to replace it in less than two years. don't buy the lodge!

my grandmother had an old le cruset pan that my sister inherited. it has to be over forty years old. the surface is still like new. i know that fredrick will last tabitha at least that long. in doing the math one lodge pan every year at $50 per year that means it will have paid for itself in six years. fredrick show-pan is also much larger and suits our family size better. a smaller comparable version le cruset would payoff much sooner.

mostly it is simply much more pleasurable to use something of this caliber. the smaller old lodge pan is significantly heavier than fredrick. not full of course but it is easy to see the quality difference once you touch it. mostly i want my wife to get as much enjoyment while cooking as she can. i know that it is easier to take pride in my work when i have good tools.

i love you tabitha and i would marry you again and again every year. happy anniversary.

13 comments:

akamom said...

Nothing more could be more perfect!!!!!!! Happy Anniversary!!!

Ron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Everyone earns a small fortune, over a lifetime. The question is what they do with it.

We bought a fine pair of loppers recently, and sure did enjoy using them today.

Happy anniversary. I love the excited kids photo. :)

Ron

jimmycrackedcorn said...

Nice pan, and good point on buying quality. The price will eventually be forgotten but you'll still have the item.

But, what??? What's wrong with Lodge cast iron? I have several Lodge cast iron pans (non-enameled) that I have been using for 10 years now, literally daily. Do you have any real reason to believe that Lodge cast iron has lead in it?

http://www.lodgemfg.com/lodge-history.asp

LannaM said...

Awww, you two are so sweet. Happy Anniversary! :)

The Polar Bear said...

i love the pic of the kids on the futon. that look that kassi is giving toly is fantastic and those sunglasses. hilarious. who wouldn't love a fancy orange pan- you sure know the way to a woman's heart. happy anniversary!

Omelay said...

jimmycrackedcorn,

we have an old lodge pan that isn't enameled. we love it. i am pretty sure that it doesn't have lead in it. as sure that a person can be in these matters. the problem lies in the enameled version that we have that is merely a year old. it was made in china and the cast iron portion of the pan was never intended to be the cooking surface. i am sure that the regulations for unintended cooking surfaces aren't as strict furthermore china hasn't been the most reliable in being forthcoming in disclosing hazardous materials in their products intended for the US.

i have no proof just a reasonable suspicion that they would cut corners wherever they can.

Ed said...

Congratulations! We have that very same pot, down to the color and love it dearly. After six years of use, the interior still looks like when we bought it and the only difference that I can see is that the white label on the outside has just about been scrubbed off with all the washings. I fully expect that my daughter will someday be using it but most certainly she will have to wait until it is pried from my cold dead hands. May you and Tabitha cook many a fine meal in it!

Kristin said...

The Lodge cast iron is made right here in Tennessee. As I recall (from emailing them a few years ago), the cast iron base is made here in TN and the coating is applied in China. Of course, that can change.

I'm coveting the new Le Creuset! Happy anniversary!

tabitha said...

You all are right, Karl knows the way to my heart! I am so excited to use the pan for the first time today.

Direct from Lodge's website:

"Made to our exact specifications in China, Lodge Enamel Cast Iron is cast from molten iron in individual sand molds. The cast iron piece is hand prepared before several layers of porcelain enamel are applied and baked in high temperature ovens."

I have nothing against China. Well, maybe a little. Well, a lot. Well, it's nothing personal. I just don't like poisoning my family.

It is actually the enamel too that could contain lead, but since it obviously and quickly began to wear off into our food, we stopped using the pan. I loved my green pan, and treated it like royalty, but still it fell apart. I called Lodge today and they are having me send pictures.

Sadly, when we bought the Lodge pan we did not read the reviews on Amazon. Our situation is common.

I love my Lodge cast iron skillet sand griddle. But they are seasoned and I do not cook liquids in them. Also, they are USA made. Also direct from Lodge:

"Are Lodge products made in the USA?
All of our foundry seasoned cast iron products, including the Signature Series, are manufactured in the USA. Our Lodge Enamel items are imported from China."

It is our own fault. I even had friends warn me of this when we bought the green one, but I did not think the Le Creuset were even on our radar because of cost. Having an enameled cast iron oven changed my life, though, so after the Lodge version died I knew I needed one badly, but resigned myself to living without one. No Longer!

Thank you love.

Tabitha

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary.

I agree with you about splurging for the right stuff, simply because quality lasts longer. It does save money in the long run.

Cheers.

Renee said...

Tabitha wrote on her web-site

but it was not accident, the way we never met until just the day we should have....I love this!!

I hope you all enjoy your day:)

I hope your wife shares a few pictures of those great meals she is going to make you:)

Renee

Robbyn said...

Le Creuset...ooooh la la, that ROCKS for a gift! I have a lodge enameled casserole that promptly chipped twice in the same week, so yes yes yes the le creuset is totally worth the outlay and is such a bright spot in the kitchen, where so much time is spent. Happy anniversary, you two...you're such a wonderful couple and family :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...