Thursday, March 11, 2010

tabitha's google-fu is profound

near ten years ago i bought some paintings from a St. Petersburg artist. my friend boris introduced me to them. he told me the artists name and that he is a significant russian artist. i just liked them and had the disposable cash necessary to buy them. i promptly forgot the artist's name.

i never perused to find out his name since it is signed in russian and my key board doesn't go there. each of the three paintings has the title written on the back of the linen. they are also signed there again. i always joke that they'd be my inheritance to my kids. they are the only remaining morsel of my years of decadence.

last night toly asked tabitha what that said on the paintings. it was the artist signature. tabitha asked me his name. oops.. i only knew his name for a brief moment in time and now had to own up to that fact. i said sorry baby i forgot. the paintings hang in our living room.


tabitha somehow found a onscreen keyboard way to type out his name. then she copied it and translated it. guess what, he came up on wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolii_Ivanovich_Sivkov how cool is that. by this time toly had fallen asleep. this morning we were excited to tell him that the artist also bore the same name, only spelled anatolii. he loves it.

this is titled the daughter of elvis дочь эависа лресаи.


our seedlings are doing marvelously. they survived their first night out, for those of you that were concerned.


spring is coming upon us quickly.

kassi is resisting her pathological compulsion to pick every one of them. she is so excited.

astrid is doing very well.


this is the side of the barn that i finished yesterday.


here is the other side and my block and tackle.


this is the beginnings of deep-bedding that tabitha and i worked on the other day.


we also burned off the old pig pen and plan to plant our sweet potatoes here.


jocelyn is looking very good these days.


the strawberry beds are already starting to come to the front.


tristan running to see what i'm up to.


tabitha's wonderful sour dough bread

this is just after breakfast.

the kids love it. even the crust--we have crust issues here..

8 comments:

Robin said...

I really, REALLY like those paintings.

rootsong said...

That is the most gorgeous sourdough I ever did see! And I too love those paintings. But what I really want is to hear more about these "years of decadence" of which you speak! ;) Tabitha & I were chatting a bit in her blog about how we all used to be east bayers.... were you guys glamorous SanFran night owls back in the day? ;)
Aubrey

Omelay said...

Robin, thanks we are convinced they have special fertility powers since they used to hang over our bed.

Aubrey, my years of decadence were before i met tabitha. be assured that those years were fraught with debauchery and so much indulgence that i should have the gout among other medical woes. i was indeed a regular at art openings and had a blessed jet-set existence. as glamorous as it might seem in retrospect my life now it vastly superior and immeasurably fulfilling.

rootsong said...

Karl, I know *exactly* what you mean. I myself lived a decadent, glammy, party life for many years there in San Fran. It was fun but I'd never trade one minute of the life I live now- full of our "urban homesteady" goodness, our pile of kids & my awesome husband. Immeasurably fulfilling is right.
BTW, I had to bust out my medical dictionary to look up the gout and it tells me gout is "a hereditary metabolic disease that is a form of arthritis...". :p Are you saying that you deserved to inherit arthritis after all that debauchery?? (teehee!)

Omelay said...

Aubrey,

gout has been known as the rich mans disease. it is exacerbated by rich foods and about 12% of cases are caused by a strong association with the consumption of alcohol, sugar, and meat and seafood.

i copied some of that from wiki. i just knew it was a disease associated with wealth, a lavish lifestyle, rich foods and alcohol.

rootsong said...

OooooOOOooh, Okay. Well, it's good to know you don't suffer from foot arthritis then. :p
Thanks,
Aubrey & her silliness

Renee said...

Karl,

Looking at all that you have now how could you ask for more? You are indeed Very Blessed!

Renee

Why did you burn you pig pen area?

Omelay said...

renee, we burned it to kill bugs, sweeten the soil and get rid of the leaves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...