Friday, March 12, 2010

i will not go gently into that strep

ok, we left the house again and came home with yet another illness. tristan got it the worst and yesterday kassi finally showed signs of strep. we packed up and headed for the closest urgent care.

kassi is the sickest in this group.

i am fighting the good fight. everyone else is very sick and i am feeling it. only brief visits outside to do chores are allowed. lots of throat coat tea, echinacea and astragalus tinctures are my armor. i will win this battle...

so yesterday was devoid of any farmstead progress. i didn't even get to make my green house heater controller.  i figured that i was up for the task today if i were to do it all in the comfort of the kitchen table.

here is my schematic of what i did:


it was a home schooling moment, as is every time i get out my tools. this was especially true since we're controlling 120 volt electricity with a 24 volt thermostat. luckily i had all the stuff to do it. i collect stuff and is a great example where it payed off.


first i built a little box to hold everything and mounted the outlet and power cord.

then i proceeded to test my components. i forgot which terminals did what on the relay. the used transformer worked. i figured out the relay and found that my thermostat was broken. luckily i had another one. i bought it before we moved here to control the heat in our house. ha, that controller is me and the next stick of wood from our front porch. sacrificing my new thermostat for which i had no true use i moved on. the good thing about new components is they come with instructions. i had forgot which terminals controlled heat and cool and fan. the instructions really came in handy.


tristan was intrigued by my multimeter. i showed him how it worked. we tested high voltage, low voltage and ohms. the ohms setting has a little beeper, toly liked that. i wired it up in a step by step manner as to keep things straight. my schematic only just happened while i type this. things were progressing wonderfully and bob called just as i was putting on the final touches. ah, someone who can appreciate my nerdy desire to make such a contraption.


i plugged in my dremmel tool to the outlet and punched up the desired temperature. ha, it worked the first time. whirrrrr.....  bob asked what the capacity of my relay was. i replied ten amps and the high setting on the heater is 900 watts. 900w ÷ 120v = 7.5a everything is perfect. i can even plug in a small fan if is desire.




kassi sat there and drew pictures of what i was doing. her little illustrations of my tools and parts laying around were great. tristan and toly ran around the house testing the conductivity of different household materials. toly held the meter while tristan probed different stuff. he started to develop a hypothesis that anything magnetic would conduct electricity. albeit mostly true many things like aluminum conduct electricity wonderfully while are not ferric.  they ran off to test more stuff.


i took my prize to the green house and plugged it in.

i can now be confident that my seedlings won't take a chill and i won't be paying for unnecessary heat. theoretically i could hook up the cooling side of thermostat to a fan and louvered vent. that is for another day.

15 comments:

Ed said...

Excellent! As an engineer, I have a lab full of relays, times, transformers, etc that I have stripped from junked equipment and spend lots of time building bench top testing jigs for various things with them. I always find that one of the more rewarding things of my job especially when I finally get it working after the troubleshooting part when the things I wire up rarely work the first time around.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry your children are sick! Did you ever stop and think that it might be from all the animal products you consume. I have to say since our family has stopped consuming animals (gladly that's been several years now) we've only been to the doctors for our yearly check-ups. Our children haven't been sick, not even colds, since switching to a plant based diet! Just a thought!

Michael

tabitha said...

Anonymous "Michael": Vegetarianism as a miracle diet? Why you're a regular Kellogg of advice! Our family has strong, well-informed opinions on food, and they are not of the vegetarian persuasion. Thank you for your vague (poorly punctuated) personal revelation regarding your lifestyle choice.

Also, thank you for your concern for our kids. How happy for you that it was also an opportunity to educate!

Tabitha, Karl's wife

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm vegetarian. I'm just here to comment on your life, while I putter around in my fossil-fueled vehicle, eating veggies grown in unsustainable ways.

hehe

Just kidding, guys. Nifty contraption. So many homeschool moments. And those are the lessons that actually stick.

Ron

Anonymous said...

yes tabitha, you should probably worry more about the health of your children than punctuation. punctuation will not guarantee your sick children longevity p.s. u should try teaching your children some compassion, you do come off as being an extremely cold hearted person!! brr it's chilly in here. : )

Anonymous said...

by the way ron, our veggies are organically grown, perhaps that is why we are the picture of health.

tabitha said...

Anonymous Michael,

Go fry bigger soy-based fish. If I come across as cold, it is because you do not know me, and you do not belong here. You seem to lack the subtle knowledge of web etiquette, to so transparently troll a blog.

Do desist.

and ROn- heh. For a second there you got me. And then I was like, Bacon! I have seen home cured bacon on his woodstove!

Walter Jeffries said...

Sorry to hear of your illness. We get sick only when we go out and get close contact with other people. Most of the time we're here on our mountain and healthy. The specific sources of disease that we've identified are:

1. Hospital/Doctor's office - by the far the worst
2. Laundrymatt
3. Family reunions or other places where many people travel long distances to come together.

We too are NOT vegetarians. We're omnivores. Diet isn't the source of contagious disease, it's people to missquote George Carlin. I know plenty of sniffling vegetarians and I have been a vegetarian at various points in my life. Vegetarianism isn't a cure, just a personal diet choice. We are healthier for being able to eat meat, dairy and eggs - especially those from our own farm just like your family does. I like to say that I'm an economic-omnivore: I eat what I can afford.

Keep up the great work and love your new device.

Wendy said...

Very cool thermometer. I love your inventiveness.

Kristen said...

Tabitha is not cold-hearted. She is a well-informed, protective, caring mama, however. The meat her family eats is lovingly raised and cared for on their family land. Judgmental comments might be best saved for those eating abused animals cruelly slaughtered for unthinking people eating out of plastic grocery store packages. Just a thought.

tabitha said...

Thank you Kristen. Fo what it is worth, I am not opposed to vegetarianism as a rule. As Walter said, it is a personal lifestyle choice. It is not my choice.

I read a lot of blogs, but I have never felt compelled to make judgmental comments regarding a lifestyle choice. We occasionally get these kinds of comments, though, always from vegetarians.

Thanks for your kind words.

Omelay said...

I usually just delete comments of this variety. Not that I don't feel that people should voice their own opinion, but this person "Anonymous Michael" is obviously a troll.

I have had this conversation on several other occasions. Michael and his anonymous cohorts give vegetarianism a bad name. Michael, your point is lost through your stupidity, cowardice and poor taste. You should go somewhere else to get your fodder. You must attempt to see past your smug position and realize that other people deserve to live their life the way they choose. This is especially true if they are well informed. I invite you to read this article and go stand in front of your local McDonald's with your picket sign. That is the place where you can do the most good. Furthermore, I believe you to be a coward since you are obviously too scared to stand behind your convictions and have your very own blog that you link to when commenting.

The people who visit here are normally well informed and have made their choices and I don't want them thinking that all vegetarians are cowards and morons. Vegetarianism is a noble and wonderful lifestyle and doesn't deserve someone like you attempting to be their spokesperson, especially on this blog. Beyond this post and comments section your comments will forever be deleted.

So speak now for I will forever hold your peace, on my blog.

Karl

kristen said...

I actually was vegetarian for ten years... vegan for some of that time. I tried very hard, though, to keep it my choice and to let others make theirs. Now that I eat meat again (due to health issues, ironically), I produce as much meat here as I can. I do respect many viewpoints and lifestyles, as well. I just feel protective and feisty when others attack. Really, if animal rights folks and/or vegetarians want to do good, they can hang out at McD's as Karl suggested or protest big store meat, like I mentioned.

Anyway. Peace and health and happiness to you both. I admire your life choices muchly muchly. :)

Anonymous said...

You guys never cease to amaze me. I hope you all feel better soon.

Connie

Lacey said...

I would like to send you some of my cold and flu syrup that I make. It's made with herbs, medicinal grade essential oils, raw honey and raw apple cider vinegar. It has given us such relief when we are under the weather and cuts our sickness time in half. If you okay with that, send me your address and I'll send some your way!
You can read about it on my website :)
Peace and Blessings of Health to you all!
~Lacey

I've been following your blogs for awhile and love what you guys do and stand for!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...