Saturday, July 31, 2010

On grass

There is something so thrilling putting the chickens onto the grass. At first they are timid and school around like fish. Then a brave chicken will tentatively investigate and perhaps chase a bug. Within a few hours they are all very comfortable running around stretching their wings.

Their brooder was so small. It makes my soul feel good watching them be chickens. Although they are confined, they are not suited to roam the fields free.

I didn't get my chicken tractor finished in time for them to go into it. Outside temperatures have been like a blow-furnace. I worked as much as I could. Alas, I couldn't get it done. We decided to divide the remaining birds among the four coops that I had prepared.

Here is one of Mikes tractors that I borrowed for this round of birds.

It is heavier than the ones that I make but have the benefit of bicycle cantilevered wheels. They employ a mechanical advantage and compensate for the added weight remarkably well. I like the "A" house shape.

The birds seem to really like it.


Astrid is happy to do her job and guard these little guys.


Jack and Ianto are almost as big as Astrid already. They will be substantially larger dogs in the end.


The pigs get a shower a few times per day.

They got all the off-fall from Mike and our corn processing. It will be mashed into rich beautiful soil within a few months. We love pigs.

We never did catch up on some of our garden after the visit to Michigan. Weeds just seemed to take over. We just fenced the sheep in that area. They should get things back into a more manageable state in short order.


This wagon really gets a workout around here. I used it to haul full feed barrels 350# each to distant areas of the farm. Here it is on trash duty.

The kids can load it heaping full with wood and bring it to the porch. Tristan pulling while Kassi and Toly pushing. One of the better farm investments I have made.

Speaking of investments, we we most graciously gifted a new dehydrator. The Dehydrator of dreams is now full of onions I am anxiously waiting to see how long they will take. I loaded four times as many onions in the thing. Very exciting, thank you thank you Annette. I can't wait to try dehydrated tomatoes, yum.

Rome had his second birthday.

He is such a smart boy. Being recently two he has been testing his boundaries. Oh that boy...

6 comments:

Ron said...

I love seeing chicks on grass... sampling everything in sight to see if it is edible. :)

This heat sure makes it hard to get much done. I've had good intentions of planting corn and taters every day this past week, but all my energy is consumed by much smaller tasks.

Ron

Ed said...

If I ever come back to this world in the form of a chicken, I hope I am on your farm in one of your tractors. Which reminds me, if one of your chickens has the ability to add and subtract numbers by tapping its foot on the ground, don't slaughter it when the time comes.

Beau said...

Happy Birthday Rome! Lucky chickens- the tractors/pens look great... I need to make one :)

Woody said...

Happy Birthday Rome!

The Polar Bear said...

was canning corn today and thought of you guys! lots of birthdays in you neck of the woods! how fun.

Pablo said...

I can only get about an hour of work done in my woods before the heat becomes too much. Doesn't slow down my swimming though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...